India’s government has warned the Centre that surgical strikes are “very serious” if the Jammu and Kashmir region goes back to a situation of unrest.
A joint statement issued on Sunday by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar says the “resumption of peace and calm” in Jammu Kashmir was “a very good development” in the state.
“But we must be careful that there are no further escalations, and not to take any steps which could escalate the situation in J&K,” the statement said.
The statement comes after security forces carried out a surgical strike on a militant hideout in the area on Saturday night, killing a number of militants.
Security forces have also launched a curfew in the J&J region since Thursday.
The joint statement also said the JK government has requested the Centre to urgently conduct a “comprehensive assessment of the situation” and the “immediate deployment of the armed forces”.
The joint team said the operation had been carried out in coordination with the National Security Advisor (NSA) on the Joint Security Task Force (JSTF).
The joint JSTF team had been constituted on September 18, 2016 under the National Action Plan of the government.